The skin on our scalp is the same as the skin on the rest of our body just thicker, and carries more blood than the rest of your skin. It also has a lot more lipid and sweat glands compared to the rest of the body, which is why our scalp often feels dirtier and oily quicker than the rest of our body.
There is no doubt that if you want beautiful healthy hair that a healthy scalp will get you there. Think of your scalp as the soil to your garden, the better the soil the better the hair.
There is a reason why most of us find the scalp massage at your salon visit, the best part…
Longer Stronger Hair
Increasing blood flow to the scalp not only ensures your scalp is getting essential nutrients and oxygen, the subcutaneous blood flow helps the active growth stage (anagen stage) which helps the hair to grow longer and less hair loss. The roots of your hair are also strengthened which helps to promote hair growth and strengthen your existing hair.
One of the most underrated ways to encourage healthy hair growth is to improve blood circulation to your scalp.
Relieve stress & tension
Think about how your body reacts to stress. More than often we tighten the muscles in our scalp, jaw and neck. Which leads to more tension across our hairline behind our ears and in the upper neck than we realise.
There is a reason tension headaches tend to be in our temples and at the back of our head. Five minutes of scalp massage can give instant relief and regular scalp massage can help to keep these muscles looser.
The quickest way to see if you are holding tension in your scalp is to place the palm of your hand on the crown of your head and try to move the scalp around it. It should move quite freely.
Relieve itchy scalp and remove product build up
Scalp massage helps to remove product build up (dry shampoo anyone) that mixes in with sebum, dead skin and accumulates on the scalp and around the hair follicles, leaving your scalp dry, itchy, often flaky and your hair lifeless.
Consider a scalp massage a facial for your tired overworked scalp.
How to massage your scalp with your fingertips:
- Apply Repair Elixir directly to the scalp (no need to wash your hair first).
- Using your fingertips move in small circles starting at the front of the scalp moving back consistently, gentle but firm pressure will feel most comfortable.
- Work your way across your scalp to cover all areas. Spend a little extra time around your forehead and temples. You will notice this area feels tighter than the rest of your scalp, this is where the skin is tighter but also where we hold a lot of tension.
- Massage your scalp using your fingertips for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Leave the Repair Elixir on for a minimum of 20 minutes or overnight. Shampoo & Condition as normal.
How to massage your scalp whilst washing your hair:
If you are short on time this can be the most time effective and often the easiest way to massage your scalp.
- Apply Repair Elixir to your scalp and leave for a minimum of 10 minutes or overnight.
- Shampoo your hair as normal.
- Once the conditioner is applied follow the same massage technique as above.
- Comb through your hair and rinse conditioner as normal.
The last and possibly best technique is to see if you can get someone else to massage your scalp for you!